If you are like me, you may received an email from Grab that is asking you to share a selfie with the GrabPay team.
Given that Grab is asking for users to share details to an external body (Securezapp) to validate, I wanted to check with the Grab team to make sure this is legitimate request and not a phishing exercise. So I called them following the instructions in my Grab app.
Is there a GrabPay Card hotline I can call?
These are the instructions you can follow, as it is always best to check. You can visit Grab's Help Centre for more information, or you can also reach out to Grab on the Grab app by tapping on:
- Account >
- Help Centre >
- Scroll down to ‘Call Us’.
- GrabPay on +65 69021036 (though please check this via your Grab app or grab.com).
- Card enquiries (Weekdays 10am-6pm/ Public Holiday: 10am-6pm)
- To report lost, stolen or suspicious card activities (24/7)
Why does Grab need a selfie?
We’re always looking out for the security of our GrabPay users, and we require a selfie as an additional verification check for your GrabPay account.
By matching the selfie with the submitted photo ID, this helps us prevent fraudulent activities, and verify the rightful owner of the GrabPay account as per Monetary Authority of Singapore’s requirements.
To ensure that you can use GrabPay Wallet with peace of mind, we periodically require our existing customers to update their particulars with the latest information. We may also ask for additional details in line with regulatory requirements, for users to access new products that we launch on the Grab app.
More details on why there is a need to verify here - https://help.grab.com/passenger/en-sg/360023573052-Why-am-I-asked-to-verify-my-identity-for-GrabPay-Wallet
Why does Securezapp process look like?
GrabPay Selfie required - Submission for identity verification
Here is a copy of the email that was sent by Grab with [email protected]
We are contacting you because you previously completed your identity verification on the Grab app through the manual form. We will require a selfie as an additional verification check for your GrabPay account.
Why do you need my selfie?
In line with regulatory requirements, the selfie helps us to prevent fraudulent activities and verify the rightful owner of the GrabPay account. We’re always looking out for the security of our GrabPay users, to ensure that you can use GrabPay Wallet with peace of mind.
What do I need to do?
Take a clear selfie with your photo ID and upload it for us to review. It will only take a few minutes!
- Hold the photo ID next to your face, making sure all parts of your face and the photo ID are visible. The photo ID has to be the one you used to verify your account.
- Remove any accessories such as glasses or caps when taking your picture.
- Click on ‘Send File’ to be directed to the Securezapp website.
Why do I have to upload my selfie on Securezapp? What is Securezapp?
We are partnering with Securezapp, a file transfer solution with enterprise-level security for documents to be uploaded and stored securely with end-to-end encryption.
- The uploaded selfie will be encrypted and safeguarded throughout the process, and it will be deleted after 14 days from when it was uploaded.
- Submit your selfie within 14 days, otherwise the Securezapp link will expire and you will need to request for another link.
- Once the selfie is uploaded successfully, we will review your selfie, and get in touch again if we need further clarification.
Is there anything else I need to know?
You can visit our Help Centre for more information, or you can also reach out to us on the Grab app by tapping on Account > Help Centre > Scroll down to ‘Call Us’. Thank you for your understanding.