How to Convert Foreign Driving license in Singapore
Step 1: Pass the Basic Theory Test (BTT)To convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving licence, you must pass the BTT test. Overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration. You only need to pass this BTT test. There is no requirement to do a Final Theory Test or practical test, at least in the normal circumstances. As it may differ in unique scenarios.
To book a BTT test, create an account with any of the three driving centres and book in person or online. They are pretty much the same, they have an enrolment fee of around $100 SGD and it costs ~$6.50 to do your Basic Theory Test. So I would choose the one closest to your home.
Bukit Batok Driving Centre (Class 3 Theory (Foreign Licence Conversion))
815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5, Singapore 659085
T: 1800 666 8888
S$74.90 (Inclusive of GST) for 6 months
S$6.50 (No GST)- Basic Theory Test fee
S$3.21 (Inclusive of GST)- Basic Theory Trial Test
|Source: Bukit Batok Driving Centre process|
ComfortDelGro Driving Centre
205 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408805
T: 6841 8900, 6848 0617
Learners who enrolled for training at Ubi, please proceed to:
ComfortDelGro Driving Centre (Main Office)
Customer Service Centre Counter 6 (you do not have to take a Queue number)
205 Ubi Ave 4,
Tel: 6841 8900
Learners who enrolled for training at Kovan, please proceed to:
ComfortDelGro Driving Centre (Branch Office)
Kovan MRT Station (opposite Heartland Mall)
900 Upper Serangoon Road, #01-01
Tel: 6287 2923
Singapore Safety Driving Centre
2 Woodlands Industrial Park E4, Singapore 757387
T: 6482 6060
Step 2: Apply for conversionOnce you pass your Basic Theory Test, you must apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Test Centre counter located in the driving centres (stated above) in person. Please bring these items, where applicable:
- NRIC/entry permit/employment pass/dependent pass/social visit pass/work permit
- Valid foreign driving licence;
- Passport-sized colour photograph of you - Matt with a white background, eyes looking straight, and both ears and eyebrows visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purposes, and glasses worn should not be tinted;
- Processing fee of $50 (payment by CashCard and NETS only).
- International driving permit; or
- An official translation of your driving licence in English obtained from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, or any Singapore registered translation companies. Translation is not required for licences issued by Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia.
- If your foreign driving licence does not have the 1st date of issue, you are required to obtain an extract of driving licence recod from the Licensing Authority;
- Foreign driving licence must be obtained prior to the issuance of your Work Pass/Dependant Pass/Student Pass etc.
Step 3: You receive your Singapore Driving LicenceVALIDITY OF LICENSE
For foreigners, your Singapore driving licence will be valid for 5 years from the date of issuance as indicated on the driving licence and you have to renew your Singapore driving licence with the Traffic Police Department within one month before the expiry date as indicated on the driving licence.
For Singaporeans and PRs, your Singapore driving licence is valid for lifetime and no renewal is required.
My experience converting my Foreign Driving license in Singapore using ComfortDeGro Driving Centre's programI am going through my course right now with ComfortDeGro Driving Centre (CDC)'s program.
- I just completed my e-Learning of 11 learning classes and then book my Basic Theory Test (BTT).
- I went to the ComfortDeGro training centre and did practice/ test exams. There are 10 possible self paced exams you can take. The computers available are touchscreen and some machines have a mouse. You'll get to review your answers after each test.
- For the Basic Theory Test day, expect to given 50 questions to complete in 50 minutes. Most people finish it in 15 minutes. The computers are touchscreen, so that require a fair bit of work to select options and move to next questions....
- Then it's a matter of bringing the paperwork to the Traffic Police Center upstairs and having your licence converted (just grab a queue number). Just make sure you have the necessary documents with you. It should be the pink form that you'll need to fill in as well.
Tip: practice using a touchscreen before your actual test. It is painful to select answers, move to the next question, review answers, as the screens doesn't always pick up your response. Other than that, I strongly encourage you to do the practice tests. As there are some questions and answers in there that aren't covered in the book.
Here is my quick guide and overview of the ComfortDeGro Driving Centre's online e-learning and booking platform.
Step 1 - Signing up to ComfortDeGro
Course: Class 3 / 3A Theory Course Only. (Class 3C (Foreign Licence Conversion))
Requirements: You'll need to pay for an enrolment fee of $102.55 SGD for 1 year membership, includes $0.90 SGD processing fees.
Step 2 - Selected Basic Theory Test Course
Time commitment: About 3 hours
e-Learning is divided into short modules to allow for easier understanding. Each module is structured as follows:
- Introduction – A precise prelude of the lesson
- What you will learn – Overview of the main learning contents
- Learning outcomes – What you should know at the end of each lesson
- Learning Content – Interactive learning contents
- Quiz – Self evaluation to assess your understanding of the contents
- Conclusion – A short review of the lessons covered
To confidently prepare yourself for the Theory tests, you are encouraged to go through CDC’s e-Learning programme and attempt the e-Trial tests (within CDC premises) before going for the tests.
Here's some really good information directly from the Singapore Police Force:
- Class C/ 3CA Driving licences FAQ
- Driving Licence Fees and Checklist - The Singapore Police Force fees to give you a licence (not including your driving school fees)
- Class 3/3A Driving Licence - Procedures - That is:
- Legal Requirement
- Enroll For Driving Classes
- The Basis Theory Test (BTT)
- Provisional Driving Licence (PDL)
- The Final Theory Test (FTT)
- The Practical Driving Test (PDT)
Read also my guide if you plan on selecting ComfortDeGro as your Driving School as it gives you a view of their online learning and booking portal.